"Good first issue", implementation. Part 3/4.

Status: Success

    The third issue, in my list of open source issues I have worked with, will be a fix in a README.md for penguinV project (C++ image processing library, which focuses on work with heterogeneous systems. It works with CUDA and OpenCL). 
    The fix would require a simple modernization of a landing page in the repo, just so it would have a better user experience. No special requests have been mentioned, so it was up to the developer to provide creativity and suggest a few changes.



    The first thing that I noticed, was a lack of hyperlinks in descriptions of the tool, so I modified those mentions of the docs that appeared there (just simple markup links to the Master repo). I also wanted to practice with git rebase, so after all necessary commits have been done locally (just a bit more than a lot of them), I squashed all the commits that I had into one by running git rebase -i HEAD~10. The command would pick up 10 commits preceding the commit with HEAD pointer on it and open interactive rebasing window where we can specify that we want to 'squash' all commits after 'picking' the first one. 
    After pushing the lonely squashed commit to my origin repo and reviewing the changes, I was asked to make a few modifications to the commit; but the requester (and the owner of the repo at the same time) did the change by oneself, also fixing my typo along the way. And then, something interesting happened. As I introduced a hint for contributors, they can start by looking at 'Help Wanted' and 'Good First Issue' links, I got an idea of styling these two phrases in the way how actual tags are styled, so I was discussing this possibility with @ihhub. @ihhub suggested to do the change and asked me to do it while @ihhub would be on the phone. And here I knew, here it was, my opportunity to find out how well I know git and how fast can execute all necessary commands. Well, it was faster than if a toddler would do it. I hope. Anyways, I did the change required by adding <kbd></kbd> tags to 'Help Wanted' and 'Good First Issue' and was ready to submit, but git would complain that I didn't have the recent updates, so I can't possible push (the ones added by @ihhub). So, I didn't find a better way but to replicate the changes in my own commit, rebase, and force push it, deleting the commits of @ihhub. It did work, but seemed very amateur, so I have set up my personal goal now - to find out how to add changes without deleting others' commits.



    The community is incredibly welcoming, and, despite me doing rebase, @ihhub asked if I'd like to work on something of my taste! :)

Link to the issue.
Link to the PR.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Different Frames of Same VidioCapture

Node.js: fs.open()

Good friend penguinV